Coming in September: Meet Lily

Lazies, meet Lily, our newest Lazy Girl. Lily is a modest sized shoulder bag, perfect for light duty. Lily’s pleats, darts, curved shape and Empire waistband give her a modern and confident look while retaining her soft feminine and flirty personality. Don’t let these details scare you – I’ve made them Lazy! I promise.

Lily (LGD128) shown in ‘Fandango’ from Moda.

Handle
A long handle (42″) is great for wearing Lily cross-body to hang securely at your hip or hang straight from your shoulder. A medium length handle (27″) will allow Lily to tuck nicely behind your elbow when worn at the shoulder. Make the handle any length you like.

Pockets
Lily has several inside pockets and a couple of handy pockets on the back for your cell phone and a pen or lip gloss. The pockets are located at the widest part of the bag, making them surprisingly generous.

A peek inside shows two pockets large enough for a Wonder Wallet (LGD211), sunglasses or checkbook, divided by a handy pen pocket. The pleated front allows for a few other essentials to nicely travel along with you.

Three pockets along the back wall.

Size
Lily is about the size of a sheet of copy paper. She is 9″ wide at the top opening, gracefully widening to just over 10″ at the pockets, 10 1/2″ tall and just 1″ deep. Lily has a slightly rounded shape, making her a bit wider at the middle than the top or bottom. The back of the bag is flat. The front has both pleats and darts, offering depth.

Velcro Closure
Lily’s 9″ wide opening offers a Velcro closure. If you prefer, a magnetic snap would work well for Lily, too. I tried a zipper and it simply is too much for this size opening. A zip cuts down on the usable width of the opening and adds bulk at the shoulder strap and side seam.

The back view shows Lily’s gentle curves.

Fabrics
Four fun and fabulous prints are all you need to make the most of Lily.

1/3 yd of two main cover fabrics
1/2 yd handle and pockets
1/4 yd waistband

For a more varied look, use a handful of fat quarters. Keep in mind that you’ll need to piece the handle to the desired length when working with smaller cuts of fabric.

Back pocket panel is large enough for a cell phone and pen.

Interfacing and Batting
Lily’s delicate pleats are supported by a lightweight fusible interfacing, keeping them soft and feminine. A fusible batting or fleece offers structure for the bag lining, giving Lily just the right amount of invisible support.

What do you think of Lily?
Post a comment below and tell me what you think of our new Girl. I’ll have more info and notes for you in future posts as we await the arrival of our sweet Lily. She’s expected to arrive in September!

62 Responses to “Coming in September: Meet Lily”

1. Tresha Barger — August 9, 2010 @ 7:55 am

So pretty! I’m already going through my stash to see which fabrics to use.

2. leli — August 9, 2010 @ 8:07 am

I must go shopping fora spesialfabric to use for this bag Wonderful

3. QuiddityRox — August 9, 2010 @ 8:15 am

This is just the right size for my daughter. I hope to have the time to complete a pink one by Christmas. You are so talented, Joan. Thanks for the tease, and for the desire to share with all us ‘lazies’. This color combo is charming.

4. Elizabeth G. — August 9, 2010 @ 8:21 am

Very Cute! I look forward to making this. Great size!

5. Gwyneth — August 9, 2010 @ 8:30 am

So pretty it will be a must make for my grandaughter for when she goes to UNI at the end of sept.Thanks for your great patterns

6. Nancy — August 9, 2010 @ 8:51 am

Thanks, Joan! How did you know that I had a request from the nursing home for a runaround type bag without the zipper (hard for old folks to handle). I’ll put the long strap on it. Can’t wait! I’ll be watching at sew thankful for when it comes out. Thanks for the fabric requirements. I’ll get some fabric sets ready.

Thanks again!

7. Robbie Foster — August 9, 2010 @ 8:55 am

I like it.

8. Edie J. — August 9, 2010 @ 9:07 am

Yayyyyy, Joan!! Now I know what I can do with that grouping of fat qtrs. I picked up on the last bus trip. Just had to have them, but then what . . . .now I know. Will wait for Lily. I keep making your bags for me, for gifts, etc. cause I can get them done – gotta make a quilt some day. : -)

9. Julie — August 9, 2010 @ 9:13 am

Love it!!

10. Susan in La Paz — August 9, 2010 @ 9:15 am

i Haven’t even had a chance to make Margo, and along comes Lily! I like her.
    And I know my daughter will as well, she loves her two Sassy bags.

11. Jennifer — August 9, 2010 @ 9:24 am

What a great purse! Can’t wait to find this pattern and line her up with all my other Lazy Girl patterns! Now I just need to start making the purses!

12. Kathy — August 9, 2010 @ 9:41 am

Looks really neat! Can hardly wait to pick out some of my stash and see what comes up…this should be a quickie and a useful little bag!!

13. Sharon Phagan — August 9, 2010 @ 9:48 am

WOW!!!!!!! Love the look of it. I will be making this one.

14. Linda Jones — August 9, 2010 @ 10:20 am

Looks like another winner for your repertoire. I can’t wait for it to be available. I am an purse-a-holic.

15. Linda Cantwell — August 9, 2010 @ 10:20 am

Joan, I love this bag. Cannot wait to make one. I have lots of coordinating fat quarters in my stash. Thinking about Fall or Christmas fabrics for the season. Would that not be awesome or what!!!!! You ARE the greatest!!

16. Gerri — August 9, 2010 @ 10:23 am

Lily looks great, I love all of your bags but my favorite is the Wonder Wallet. My sister is on her second wallet, she loves the size, fits right in her pocket. I really enjoy this web site.
    Thanks, you are a Wonder….

17. Pat — August 9, 2010 @ 10:29 am

Love your bags!! Lili is wonderful, can’t wait to get the pattern!

18. Sherri — August 9, 2010 @ 10:44 am

love it, love it…love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are one of the most talented ladies!!!!!!

19. Susie — August 9, 2010 @ 11:24 am

Love this darling bag. I will look forward to purchasing the pattern and making it. Lily is my favorite flower, so maybe this will be my favorite bag. Love you creative mind!

20. SewThankful Tracy — August 9, 2010 @ 11:52 am

Joan, I just *LOVE* Lily’s fresh pleats and flirty curves. Can’t wait!!!

21. Penny B — August 9, 2010 @ 11:54 am

Oooooohhhhh Joan, I am so happy/sad! Happy to see this darling little bag that seems to be the perfect size for my needs and sew SAD that it won’t be here in time to make and use for my trip to Hawaii the very last week of this month.

22. Susan — August 9, 2010 @ 11:56 am

This is just what I’ve been looking for, a cute and smallish bag for cross-body wear for the upcoming school year (so many friends to make it for in our school colors, of course!). Thank you for doing this, now I can just get ready to sew and not design and work out the kinks, and design and re-design. I need a pattern soonest, Joan!!

23. Carol K — August 9, 2010 @ 11:56 am

Bet this would be a great bag for my Kindle2 or another e-reader!

24. Kathy Van — August 9, 2010 @ 12:01 pm

Yet another great design! I have become a fan of “accross the body” type bags. Easy & secure for shopping. I’ll add my usual Key Fob Clip somewhere convenient. Can’t wait to make this one!

25. Bunny Vance — August 9, 2010 @ 12:02 pm

Another darling design!!! Thanks Joan you are sooooo good!

26. Linda ramage — August 9, 2010 @ 12:13 pm

Wow! Another purse pattern to add to my collection of Lazy Girl Designs; however, this one will be sewn together as soon as the pattern is available. Love your fabric choices.

27. Pam T. — August 9, 2010 @ 12:21 pm

Lily is wonderful. I like that it doesn’t have a zipper. A magnetic snap will do the trick!

28. Barb — August 9, 2010 @ 1:18 pm

I don’t want to wait until September! I want her now! ;-)

29. Dona — August 9, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

You just keep coming up with GREAT ideas! Thank you so much.

30. sylvia — August 9, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

sexy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. sylvia — August 9, 2010 @ 1:36 pm

with this bag, i would love to have a CD on this.

32. Sandy K — August 9, 2010 @ 1:49 pm

Really like this one….can’t wait to see it in stores!

33. Bobbie Bentley — August 9, 2010 @ 2:56 pm

Joan,,,, I love Lilly. She’s perfect, perfect, perfect, can’t wait to buy her. Smashing Moda fabrics on this wonderful new girl. We need a bottle of Moet’ for Lady Lilly.
    Thanks for another winner.

Bobbie on the Space Coast, Cocoa Beach, FL

34. Dianne — August 9, 2010 @ 3:17 pm

This is sooo cute… just in time for Christmas presents!

35. Sally Heydt — August 9, 2010 @ 3:54 pm

Can’t wait!!! She is a beauty!! I ordered Margo and haven’t had time to make her! My sister was an angel and made me one for my birthday in May so I do get to carry her!! I look forward to making Lily too! Is any place taking pre-orders yet!? Thanks, Joan, for another great purse!! September won’t be here too soon!

Sally

36. Linda Clark — August 9, 2010 @ 5:22 pm

Lily! is going to be so cute…Another great job..So many options with her…Love those beautiful fabrics also…

37. Jean Brittingham — August 9, 2010 @ 5:41 pm

I’ve already made a bag like this so I’m surprised to see you come out with a pattern for one?

38. ChoctawCharli — August 9, 2010 @ 6:31 pm

Hey! Another LG bag that I can make and use for myself! And one that looks like it actually has room for my DayTimer! (Which is actually sort of bulky as it is a combo DT/Wallet). I can only use a cross body purse since I use crutches or a wheelchair to get around. Hand held or one shoulder purses don’t work that well. I really like the styling and eagerly await release. Already have the fabric for the first one picked out!

39. Amy C — August 9, 2010 @ 7:40 pm

Cute! I really like the look of this bag.

40. Judy Jennings — August 9, 2010 @ 9:51 pm

Wow have been looking for something like this for ages, classy and hopefully simple for this simpleton to make. Thank you clever lady.

41. Patti — August 9, 2010 @ 10:19 pm

What a perfect bag for a young woman or teen! So cute! You did it again, Joan!

42. Laura — August 10, 2010 @ 4:09 am

Well, lilly looks perfect for fall…..love those curves, wish I could buy a waist as easy as making a lilly…..I’m thinking wool tweed with some fabulous trim….!

43. dottie — August 10, 2010 @ 8:35 am

She’s adorable. I only wear small bags like Sassy and the Runaround. She’ll be great. Must go look at my Resource Center. LOL

44. Frances — August 10, 2010 @ 8:37 am

But Joan, I haven’t finished a million Margos yet! Well, I’ll just have to fit them in somewhere after Lily comes out. Nice pattern, as always!

45. Julie D — August 10, 2010 @ 12:56 pm

Joan – this is great. I’m going to figure out how to fit making bags into the semester SOMEHOW.

46. Penny — August 10, 2010 @ 1:19 pm

Oh I just love her up to date look! The nieces will love her and I have some Amy fabric that will work great with her! I am glad it is Sep because I still have not finished my Margo!! You have been a very busy lady!

Penny in horribly humid Chesapeake, VA

47. Susan — August 10, 2010 @ 4:33 pm

Adorable. I love it and my 15 yr old DGD will really love this bag. That’s one Christmas gift I can mark off the list. Will anxiously await her debut and will start shopping around for just the right colors. As always, Joan, you’ve done a fabulous job. Just when I think I have all the purse patterns I’ll ever need, you create another gem.

48. Jeanette — August 10, 2010 @ 10:31 pm

I just finished making my first Margo handbag and it came out great. I was a little
    worried about the zipper but your instructions where wonderful. I have made a lot
    of your Miranda bags so I cannot wait until you have the Lily bag out.

49. Bonnie — August 11, 2010 @ 9:00 am

I just love the shape and plan to purchase the pattern to make one for my Granddaughter at the University. She’ll get lots of oo’s and aw’s.

50. Terrieannie — August 11, 2010 @ 2:52 pm

I adore this new bag…. such a refreshing change of shape, rather contemporary in style, and a size more in line with my petite (haha…. more like short!) body.
    Love ‘em all, but this looks to be a real winner for me!!