Make a Bag Worth Bragging About!

Honey Katy frontI love this bag!  This is my ‘doggie bag’, which I made using fabric sheets and my inkjet printer.

Have you considered making a little handbag of photo treasures? It’s easier than you might think, it’s a great way to carry photos with you, and the bag is sure to be a conversation starter where ever you go. I used pictures of my dog Honey and her sister Sweetie for this example. Sweetie lives next door and the girls get together for play dates.  This is Honey taking a snooze.

I used one of our free project sheets that work with a number of our designs. I’ve prepared an idea sheet to use with fabric printer sheets and Microsoft Word to create your Brag Bag.

Click here for a printable version of this free tutorial.

I used our Katy Bags pattern #121 and letter-sized cotton fabric printer sheets. The project sheet includes directions on how to use the text box function in Microsoft Word to locate photos where you like.  You can use any bag design and incorporate your own treasures into the construction.

I decided to make this project to take with me for my trip to Tokyo, Japan, in May 2005.  When I had visited the year before, a number of people shared pictures of their pets via their cell phone camera. I decided that carrying Honey and Sweetie around with me would be a great ice-breaker – and it was.

On one evening, Carolyn and I went shopping at the mall. We walked into a store called ‘The Dog Depot’ and I held-up my purse for the staff to see. I was accepted as a dog-lover immediately.

Honey Katy

Here’s the back of the doggie bag. I had so many pictures that it was hard to choose.  So I used a bunch of little pictures.  I love the big picture in the middle of Honey and Sweetie sticking their noses between the rails of the deck at Sweetie’s house. Sweetie is on the left, Honey is sticking her tongue out. I placed small pictures of the girls all around the big center picture.

To get started, I first made any adjustments to the photos in my photo program.  I resized, cropped, rotated, etc.  Then I used the text box function to locate photos all over the print area.  The idea sheet includes step-by-step directions for working with Microsoft Word text boxes for photo placement. The handle shown is one of a pair offered by Clover, item #6333.

Electric Quilt Premium Cotton Satin Inkjet Fabric Sheets

I really like the feel of the cotton satin finish injet fabric sheets from The Electric Quilt Company. Here’s what the package looks like. They have a fabulous finish and a little more body than your basic cotton sheet. This will give your project a ‘richness’ with fabulous drape. I especially like the plastic backing which pulls off easily in one try and does not tear like the paper backing on other products.  I’ve had problems with the paper back ripping off in pieces, leaving little shards that are difficult to remove.

The cotton satin printer sheets from EQ are item #P-CS811, six sheets to a pack with good instructions. Visit EQ’s blog for tons of info.

Lazy Girl Designs

[tags]fabric printer sheets, small handbag, purse pattern, photo transfer[/tags]

Product image courtesy of The Electric Quilt Company.

77 Responses to “Make a Bag Worth Bragging About!”

1. Martha in Ohio — March 16, 2008 @ 10:14 am

Found you through Pat’s road trip. Great purse, love Poodles. I bought ours for DH after we lost a son. DH depression was bad, Brutus ,he named her, helped so much she is worth more to us than we will ever be able to say. I will make purse this summer. Thank you. Martha in Ohio

2. Naomi — March 16, 2008 @ 10:19 am

How cute! My Gallagher is always under my feet when I am sewing Lazies. I have to show him what I have finished or he will put his feet up on the table and knock down whatever I have up there.

3. Phyllis — March 16, 2008 @ 10:20 am

Love the idea. I don’t nave a fury pet, BUT I do have a new GD. Her picture would work, then I wouldn’t have to drag it out of the purse to show everyone. Great Road Trip.

4. Sue G — March 16, 2008 @ 10:34 am

We have 1 furry pet. Holly the dog. She is a gift I got my hubby 4 years ago when my youngest daughter got married and moved out (taking her puppy with her). Holly is part rat terrier. We also have Shak a cockatiel, and several fish.
    I love your purse patterns, have made several of them. What fun.

5. francene rasmussen — March 16, 2008 @ 10:34 am

Howdy, very interesting idea for a picture purse….there are currently 3 furry friends at my house, our original beagle Sally, my son’s mutt-jack russell,beagle,american eskimo mix (mostly beaglish) and sigh my college daughters mutt-same mix but much more terrier type Duke is also living with us.
    Thanks for going on our road trip with us!

6. Sharen - Sloanie — March 16, 2008 @ 10:51 am

We have a furry grancat, Marshall, living in our home. He is a trip! He is a really handsome guy and we adore him. We’ll be sorry when DS#2 moves to his own place in a few months. Of course, we have him really spoiled so maybe he’ll beg to come back to visit fairly often! lol!!

Love your bag patterns and have received many compliments on the ones I have made both for myself and as gifts for family & friends.

7. Beverly — March 16, 2008 @ 10:52 am

The doggie bag is so cute! Our two doggie pets are Janie and Jojo. Brother and sister we got from the pound when they were 4 weeks old. When they want something they come to the window and bark. They know exactly how to get our attention.

8. Betty — March 16, 2008 @ 10:56 am

Love the pictures of Darcy. Perhaps she could get together with my Dougal and teach him proper behaviour. He at his bed not that long ago. Betty

9. Shelley Dionne — March 16, 2008 @ 10:59 am

Wow! My dog Abby and my cat Misha would look so cute on a bag! Great idea!

10. Jeanne Meddaugh — March 16, 2008 @ 11:15 am

Love the purse and the magazine cover!

11. Margaret — March 16, 2008 @ 11:19 am

get idea! Think I need to make them for my kids, who miss their boys Max and Sully since they left home!!

12. Mary in NE Ohio — March 16, 2008 @ 11:39 am

I have three wheaten terriers who are as gorgeous as can be, but it is tough to get photos of them that show their real beauty!!! I have the same problem when I’m the subject of a photo! Another fun project to plan!

13. Selmy — March 16, 2008 @ 11:39 am

Joan, how adorable ! This makes me wanna give a try with pics of my yorkie Plume ! Quilting hugs, Selmy ;)

14. Amy R — March 16, 2008 @ 11:49 am

Hey! Love your site! Will definintely return. Once again, Pat has led me to yet another additive blog! Thanks for joining in on the fun. Love the purse! Miss having pets very much. Hopefully someday I can again!

Amy

15. Vanessa B — March 16, 2008 @ 12:47 pm

Good Morning Joan,

Your “Honey” is adorable and I know several friends who’d love a bag like this too! I really like how you did the back of your bag with multiple pics! With 9 horses, 3 dogs, 1 cat and a full fish tank its too hard to pick just one :-)

Vanessa B

16. Sandy — March 16, 2008 @ 12:56 pm

I just love he purse with the pooch. My new puppy, Yukon the Siberian Husky, would love the be on a purse. I’ll put this on my list.

17. Deane — March 16, 2008 @ 2:21 pm

So glad you are on our road trip with Pat! We have an adopted greyhound who just turned four, we call her Dixie after one of her great-grandmothers…her racing name was Northern Itch!

We also have a calico cat named Patches!

Deane in FL

18. Adrienne — March 16, 2008 @ 2:26 pm

Hi Joan:

Your bag with sweet Honey is adorable. I have one sweet faced black lab named Boo who would look so cute on a bag (just getting him to sit for a picture is the issue….always have to bring a treat into the mix…you know?) And, in the very near future we will have a new kitten and my daughter just turned 16 and that was what she wanted for her birthday. Now, we just need to head to the animal shelter to find her kitten. I’ve always had cats and our last one was almost 21 years old when he died….it’s been a long, long time since I’ve had a kitten…….so this should be interesting.

:) Adrienne

19. Susan in ON — March 16, 2008 @ 2:31 pm

Your doggie bag post and tutorial are perfect timing for me. We are missing our wonderful golden retriever, Joey, very much, and I have been thinking of projects to make using his photos. I am very glad to read your recommendatioon for the EQ fabric sheets, too.
    Thanks so much,
    Susan in ON

20. Verity Creekmore — March 16, 2008 @ 2:51 pm

Thank you Joan for being our roadtrip today. Pat and all of her friends are making this weekend more fun than can be told. Love your bags.

21. Lynne in Hawaii — March 16, 2008 @ 3:35 pm

We have neighbors behind us that have three dogs. One is a barker, one a howler and one a yapper. We fondly call them the chorus. When they are out and a siren goes off, the barker starts and then the others join in. The funniest part is that they stop barking all at the same time. It is as if the music has ended! It is such a hoot! Pat Sloan sent me over. Thanks.

22. Gretchen — March 16, 2008 @ 3:38 pm

What a great idea for a bag!! I think I need an extra big one since I have five cats or maybe I need to make five! Thanks for joining us on Pat’s quilting weekend!

23. Melanie — March 16, 2008 @ 4:21 pm

Love the doggie bag! Found you through Pat Sloan! ;-) We have a Jack Russell Terrier whose name is Doogie and he is 14 years old. He thinks he’s human, too. He misses our girls terribly since they all left home and on their own now. So he sticks to my DH like a little lost puppy. Will definitely have to make one of these with his pic on it!

24. sandra742 — September 9, 2009 @ 9:27 am

Hi! I was surfing and found your blog post… nice! I love your blog. :) Cheers! Sandra. R.

25. kaysey — September 25, 2009 @ 11:14 am

give me one with a doberman on it

Trackbacks/Pingbacks