New: Patterns, Products, Zipper Obsession!

Lazies, Get ready to change your relationship with zippers forever! Yes, I think it’s that big. A game changer. I came up with an easy trick to put a zipper pull back on and it’s showcased in my three new patterns.

Let me say that again: I came up with an easy way to put a zipper pull on. Easy. You can do this. With every zipper (see important zipper notes below). All bags, pouches, etc. Every project going forward. Total. Zipper. Liberation. Cut ’em up, swap ’em around, put ’em together again. How-to is included in my three new patterns. You are going to need more zippers!

Let’s meet the Girls, the new zip technique, and the supplies you’ll need.

Sweetpea Pods

Securely hold treasures like peas in a pod! Tuck inside a bag, attach to your key chain, or add a strap for a mod wristlet. Unzipped pod stands open for easy access. Size: 3” x 6”

Sweetpea_web2
Sweetpea Pods LGD135

Yes, that’s one piece of zipper tape that loops back on itself. It’s my new One-Zip technique.

Supplies
Two 10″ squares, a bit of fusible fleece and two zippers 16″ or longer makes two pods. I ADORE using mine for Clover Wonder Clips at my workstation, sewing machine, or to take with me. Also nice for candy, buttons, loose zipper pulls (yea, you are going to need some of those, and we’ve got you covered there, too).

Becca Bags

Handy best friends to stow and go. These big-mouth bags quietly stand open for easy access. One piece of zipper tape goes in straight and flat, then bend and use my trick to easily add the pull. Two sizes.

BeccaCover_web
Becca Bags LGD136

These pouch style bags have forever changed how I’ll make pouches. My new One-Zip technique allows these bags to stand open wide for easy use.

Supplies: Three fat quarters, fleece, one 14″ and one 22″ zip will get the job done.

Fobio

Lanyard style key fob zips up to your wrist to lock in place! Clip to your keys, or add a pouch to make an instant wristlet. The pattern includes 2 sets of 1 1/4” key fob hardware. Fobio size 1 1/4” x 6”

Fobio_web
Fobio LGD137

Here we go, loopy zip again! Use my trick to add one or more pulls! The zipper can be zipped, the teeth engage and it’s a cool variation on zippers.

Supplies: Two sets key fob hardware included in the pattern, one 14″ zipper, a strip of fabric and interfacing, then go wild or mild with zipper pulls.

Lazy Girl Key Fob Hardware Supplies

Refill pack of 4 sets of key fob hardware LGD711
Party Pack of 25 sets of key fob hardware LGD712
The ideal pliers LGD713 to clamp the hardware onto Fobio.

NEW: One-Zip Technique
All three Girls use my new One-Zip technique. Cut the zipper to pieces, install one length of zipper tape, bend to bring the ends together, use my trick to put the pull on, creating a loop-style zipper. Sweet! So, all three new patterns include step-by-step instructions from start to finish for this technique.

Important Zipper Notes
My top recommendation for zips is YKK brand zippers from Atkinson Designs. They are the smoothest and swapping tape and pulls works beautifully with them.

– The One-Zip technique works with polyester, all-purpose, basic apparel zippers (size #3 or #4.5) by YKK, Coats & Clark, or Talon brands.
– All zipper tape and pulls must be by the same manufacturer to work together. Example: only use YKK pulls with YKK zips. Some Coats & Clark zips are actually by Talon and will say so on the zipper pull or package.
– One-Zip technique does not work with invisible, metal, sport weight, or Sullivans brand zippers.
– Test zips and pulls to make sure they work together before installation.

Zips and Pulls and Fun, Oh My!

I invited Terry Atkinson to this party and she said what can I bring? I said, I need longer zips and lots and lots of zipper pulls. Lots.

Atkinson Designs introduces their new line of beautiful 22″ zips and extra pulls we need for these new Girls. Here are the 10 scrumptious colors of the new 22″ long zips. The loose zipper pulls come in a Candy Color Mix of 30+ pulls that work with all of Terry’s 14″, and new 22″ zippers. Terry has an incredible eye for color, so you know you are going to love all of these.

Zip colors_med
22″ Atkinson Designs Zippers

Zipper Pulls_md
Zipper Pulls, Candy Color Mix, 30+ pulls, ATK520

For every project you make using the One-Zip, you’ll have leftover zipper tape for the next project. You are going to want more pulls. Like a bucketful. Or more. Trust me. My zipper stash has gone cra-cra.

When Can You Get Your Hands On These Goodies
Everything starts shipping to stores next week while we’re all in Houston for a quilty slumber party, I mean Quilt Market.

Quilt Market
Shop owners, join me in my Schoolhouse at 11:35, room 372D, on Friday in Houston. Terry and I will be demonstrating the One-Zip technique and showing all of our new zippery goodness at Checker’s booth Saturday (Terry) and Sunday (Joan) at 2.00. Terry offers everything you need to get up and running with her new products: Start Up Kit of zips, hang clips, hang cards, a new display option.

We are both taking orders now for all of our new goodies, or order through your fav distributor.

Where to Order
Check with your favorite Lazy retailer to see if they’ll be offering our new goodies. Patterns will not be available as e-patterns.
Edit: Sweetpea and Becca are available as PDF patterns in my Craftsy store here.

I know these shops will be offering the new goodies:
QuiltTrends in Columbus, OH
Sew Thankful online
Linderella’s in South Pines, NC
Bear Patch in White Bear Lake, MN
Creations SewClever in Chillicothe, OH

Lazies, what do you think? Are you ready to change things up a bit? Post a comment, I’d love to hear from you!

Instagram @JoanHawley
Facebook Lazy Girl
Craftsy Zip It Up Class
Pinterest Joan Hawley
Twitter LazyGirlJoan

107 Responses to “New: Patterns, Products, Zipper Obsession!”

1. Charyn Mann — December 16, 2015 @ 1:05 am

Just got your Sweetpea Pod pattern. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow. The pods work up quickly and are very addictive!

2. susan dennis — December 18, 2015 @ 10:05 pm

I just received my Sweetpea Pods instructions. I’m pretty darned crafty and had tried the Sweetpea Pod zipper trick on my own with little success. I bought the pattern figuring it would reveal the trick of how to do it. No tricks. It explains exactly what I’m doing.

Bottom line, it’s not easy at all. Very fiddly and it takes a lot of swearwords to get the pull onto the other end of that track so your zipper makes a loop.

3. Sue S. — December 24, 2015 @ 6:53 pm

The Sweetpea Pods pattern was very frustrating for me–taking the zipper apart and putting it back together was too hard for me–spend over any hour making it work–too difficult to get the pull back on and make the zipper work. After that, construction was easy and straightforward.

4. Bonnie — December 31, 2015 @ 9:24 am

Please Joan have a new class for these patterns.

5. Lesley — January 2, 2016 @ 4:51 pm

I love these patterns (especially Sweetpea and Becca) but I’m totally gutted that they are not available as e-patterns.

I live in the UK and I could get the pattern from sewthankful.com for $7.19 but the shipping cost is $9.99 which takes it out of my price range and it would be just my luck to get charged a customs fee so I really can’t risk buying it.

I found your gorgeous designs, quite by chance, on Instagram and I’ll continue to follow you and hope that you make these patterns e-vailable someday.

Best wishes
    Happy sewing
    Lesley

6. Michael J Elinski — January 14, 2016 @ 4:16 am

I could find a zillion uses for these zip bags, not the least of which is to make really cool gifts for my nieces and other family members, with bright, lively fabric and colorful zippers and pulls.
    Where can I find the patterns for these bags? Thanks,
    Michael

7. Mary Lynn — January 18, 2016 @ 4:37 pm

These look fun and crazy ! Will diffidently be giving the zips and bags a try.

8. Christine Kellett — January 18, 2016 @ 6:40 pm

Please make patterns available as download. The cost of postage from US to Australia, combined with our dollar makes it prohibitive for us fine folk to enjoy your creations.

9. Rosemary Voss — January 25, 2016 @ 5:35 pm

Love your Craftsy class and the peapod and becca bag. Patterns were purchased from Punch with Judy at the Rock in Australia, easy to make and follow. Thank you for such fun projects.

10. Rosemary — January 25, 2016 @ 5:42 pm

Enrolled in your craftsy class and purchased Sweetpea and Becca patterns from Punch with Judy at the Rock Australia. Great patterns and love the zipper technique. Thank you for these great projects.

11. Liese Hill — February 3, 2016 @ 4:09 pm

I recently purchased your Sweetpea Pods pattern and bag of extra zipper pulls – Atkinson Designs – your pattern has good pictures showing how to change the pull – on the package of extra zipper pulls it says to “visit http://www.atkinsondesigns.com to see how easy it is to change your zip” – so I did – hoping to find a video showing the technique – nothing – nothing at all….. Help!

• Joan Hawley replied: — February 3rd, 2016 @ 4:57 pm

Hi Liese, Currently, my trick for easily putting the pull on is only shown in the patterns.

12. Dona Mohr — February 3, 2016 @ 9:36 pm

Just made my first Sweetpea Pod…and my second! Everything worked just the way you said it would. Had no problems at all. Made these while fighting Bronchitis, Pneumonia and ear infections. Now that I have started meds I am anxious to try Becca Bags!
    Arizona Lazy Girl, Dona

13. Bonnie Sibert — February 4, 2016 @ 9:54 pm

I have the pattern I can not get this to work . Do you have a tutorial to get this zipper head on. I spent 2 hours on this. The zipper wouldn’t close . The zipper pull won’t go on very easy..I sent you a letter last week I hope you reply to this comment. Thank You Bonnie

• Joan Hawley replied: — February 5th, 2016 @ 1:16 pm

Hi Bonnie,
      I’m glad you left a comment at my blog.
      I can’t tell where the trouble is so let me check a few things…
      – Tell me more about your zipper. What zipper and pull are you using? The technique works with poly all-purpose zips by YKK, Coats and Clark, Talon. Just your basic apparel zipper. Read the Important Zipper Notes on the pattern to be sure (also included below).
      – The zip and pull must be by the same manufacturer to work together. For instance YKK won’t work on Coats and Clark. The zip and pull that came together should work together for this technique – test to make sure before installing.
      – Are you able to test the technique as shown in the pattern (before installing the zipper in the project) and be successful?
      – If you can get one end of the zip tape into the pull, but not the other – take the tape out and try putting the trimmed end in first to make sure the first tooth is good and functions. If it is sticking, cut another tooth off and try again.
      – If the zipper tape is already installed, make sure the teeth are facing the outside of the project, not the lining. Amazingly, even when this happens, you can sometimes get the pull on and it zips, but it’s very rough.
      From my own experience:
      – I’ve encountered bad/very old zippers that are a poor quality and don’t work well as manufactured and are not successful for the One-Zip technique.
      – Some brands zip better than others, have better design, work more smoothly.
      Please check all of these possibilities to help me understand what is happening and we can get you on track.
      Thanks so much, Joan

IMPORTANT ZIPPER NOTES
      – One-Zip technique does not work with invisible, metal, sport weight or Sullivan brand zippers.
      – Test zips and pulls to make sure they work together before installation.

14. Angelika Westermann — February 6, 2016 @ 2:47 am

These Sweatpea Pods are so cute! Please have an e-pattern for them. When ordering from Germany, shipping costs are more than 100 % of the pattern cost.

15. Patty S, — February 11, 2016 @ 5:23 pm

LOVE the little Sweetpeas!!! I had no trouble at all with the zippers, your technique worked very well for me. I have used YKK and also Coats zippers. I tried making them using an 8″ square and they are so little and cute, coin purse size.

Did you know the leftover triangles from the Bendy Bag will make 2 sweetpea pods? Pre-fleeced and ready to go!

16. Terry Sheldon — February 12, 2016 @ 12:37 am

To you gals having trouble with the zippers, I did too, at first. I stuck with it, made sure I followed all Joan’s instructions to the letter…very important. Once I “got it,” I was hooked and bought all her new patterns! It is important to also do the test once you have the zipper separated, because once my zipper and pull just wouldn’t “connect.” Only happened once.

17. Patti — February 12, 2016 @ 10:11 pm

Where can I learn your one zip method?

• Joan Hawley replied: — February 13th, 2016 @ 7:05 am

Hi Patti, The One-Zip is shown in the patterns for Becca, Sweetpea and Fobio.

18. Shirley Dawson — February 16, 2016 @ 9:28 pm

Any chance the Sweetpea pod pattern will be available in Toronto, Ontario, Canada?

19. Jenny mason — February 27, 2016 @ 12:22 am

Hi, I live in Australia and would like to purchase the Sweetpea Pod pattern, I have the Bendy bag pattern purchased whilst I was in America and thought this other pattern might be useful for using the off cuts from the bendy bag. Thanks, hope you can help.

• Joan Hawley replied: — February 27th, 2016 @ 8:02 am

Hi Jenny, Punch with Judy stocks the patterns and all the supplies! Thank you for asking.

20. Jude Taylor — March 2, 2016 @ 12:36 pm

Where can I get a sweet pea pod pattern in the UK?

21. KimC — March 2, 2016 @ 7:46 pm

I had a great deal of trouble getting the zipper to work……followed the instructions exactly as written. Finally got it to work but wish an Slternative method was given. Not giving up! Attempting again tomorrow….hopefully it will get easier with each one made.

22. Elaine — March 14, 2016 @ 8:48 pm

A little confused on the sweet pea zipper installation. Do you have a video tutorial on installation of it? Is it part of your Craftsy class? Thank you.
    I want to make the pods with my granddaughters…but I want to be able to understand the technique. Thank you

23. Joyce McNamara — March 16, 2016 @ 11:06 am

Wow! these are great. Do you have suppliers in the UK?

24. Deb NZ — March 19, 2016 @ 4:56 pm

Just love making these, they are so easy! Instructions clear to follow, no trouble with the zips at all. Brilliant Idea. Many thanks

25. Barb proz — March 29, 2016 @ 1:30 pm

The directions were so easy to follow. I loved the step by step pictures. I originally used a talon zipper and it was very hard to get it together, but the YKK zippers worked like a charm. Thanks..Barb

26. Sandy Cofer — April 12, 2016 @ 3:06 am

Love the little Sweatpea Pods! I’ve made about 10 now but am wondering about adding a little tab somewhere to make opening a bit easier. Any ideas?

Thanks so much! Sandy

27. olga gerlette — April 16, 2016 @ 12:35 pm

could you put instructions for the zipper on video, maybe u-tube. Is there anyway you could do the zipper without taking it apart. I’m having a real hard time. I just bought the pattern. I have been sewing for years, but this has me confused.

28. June Gaffney — April 22, 2016 @ 6:33 am

Hi
    I would like to add my voice to those asking for e patterns. The price was huge when adding postage from the US to Australia.
    Please. Only then would I consider buying again.

29. Vanessa — April 23, 2016 @ 4:26 am

I would love to be able to get hold of the pattern for the Sweet pea pods. Will this be available as a e-pattern. I live in the UK and the shipping costs make it an expensive purchase.
    Love your work.

30. Phyllis Stephenson — April 26, 2016 @ 11:14 am

Zippers scare me! After reading your article though, I’m so tempted to learn to use them more than I do! Thank you!

31. Sue Volek — May 4, 2016 @ 11:51 pm

Have spent much time searching for the Sweetie Pod pattern in the quilt shops you reference — how can I purchase this pattern???

frustrated in Portland

32. Vicki Townsley — May 6, 2016 @ 11:57 am

Do you carry complete kits…including fabric?

• Joan Hawley replied: — May 6th, 2016 @ 2:25 pm

Hi Vicki, I do not offer kits. However, check http://www.SewThankful.com they carry the patterns, zippers, extra pulls and key fob hardware.

33. Eddie — May 17, 2016 @ 9:11 am

Not on the Punch With Judy site…. the sweat pea pod patterns… Another Australian who wont be paying more for postage than the price of the pattern 🙁
    PLEASE rethink your pdf policy, you are seriously loosing out on sales.

• Joan Hawley replied: — May 18th, 2016 @ 1:39 pm

Hi Eddie, Sweetpea Pods will be in my next Craftsy class which launches soon. Please watch our website and Facebook for details!

34. Clyda Ogle — May 20, 2016 @ 3:45 pm

I made several sweetpea pods for Christmas gifts, My daughter who lives in North Carolina wanted to make some too so shared 10″ pre cut squares, with her. She found that she didn’t like putting in the box corners which ended up a square bag with a diagonal zipper. The biggest problem we both had was not having the extra pulls. I also found that it was easier to use one square instead of two. This makes the lining the same as the outer bag, I did cut the fusible fleece (or whatever it is) in a triangle. I put the zipper along the fold of the pre-cut square and stitched along the fold. Also did the top stitching. I believe I used the procedure for the run about bag for stitching the zipper. I’ve only had one zipper that didn’t work after stitching. The teeth would not stay together, thinking that I may have damaged the teeth when pressing. They closed fine, but would pull apart or not stay together.

35. Lisa Stephan — May 25, 2016 @ 2:45 pm

I just received my Lazy Girl Designs patters for the Sweetpea Pods & Becca bags. I am very excited to dive in and make some. My only comment, is there a way I could get these as a PDF?
    Thanks.
    Lisa

36. Lisa — May 27, 2016 @ 11:38 pm

I just made 2 Sweetpea pods. The instructions were very clear and easy to follow. I prepared my test half of the zipper exactly how the instructions were written and it worked! Then I made my first 2 Sweetpea pods of many to come! Now I just need to order some longer zippers and extra pulls!

37. JoAnn Bruning — June 22, 2016 @ 5:32 pm

My grand daughter bought one of these in Crete Ne. Her and I put it together and It did not work well. We tried it ahead of time and finally got the pull on but had to take it off to sew it. We worked over an hour trying to get the pull on after sewing it and finally got it but it doesn’t work well and the zipper wants to separate. I sew two stops on it before I could make it quit but it pulls very hard so I don’t think it will last long. THUMBS DOWN on this easy way to put in a zipper. Sincerely JoAnn Bruning

38. Connie Ahlman — August 14, 2016 @ 9:48 pm

I have now completed about 40 Sweet Pea Pods for gifts. I add a 5 1/2″ piece of 3/8″ grograin ribbon between the zipper and the outside of the bag. I tack it to the outside of the bag, then stitch the zipper down, then stitch the lining down. Helps when closing the bag and gives you something to hang on to. I shorten the ribbon and add a small swivel clip for those who want to clip the bag on their belt loop or backpack, etc. I add a smal split ring and a charm or a faux suede tassel to the zipper pull. Cute and easier to grip the pull.

39. Allison Dodge — August 19, 2016 @ 1:00 pm

Where can I get the fobio zipper fob pattern? Can I sell these in my Etsy shop?

40. JanetJake — October 19, 2016 @ 3:59 pm

Okay, yes, the first zipper was tricky but after that, they were a breeze. I bet I’ve made at least 50 of them. They are great little gifts for just about everyone. I make many at a time using a production line process. That way,I don’t have to change the presser feet so often and it’s incredibly efficient. Love, love, love this pattern.

41. Jane — October 22, 2016 @ 10:18 pm

Love, love love these peapods! Many years ago I used to repair a broken zipper by slicing between teeth, and then reinsert in the pull so this zipper technique felt 2nd nature. To anyone having major problems, ensure that your 1st tooth on the nonmodified end was not damaged from the getgo. That can make it nearly impossible but in the Craftsy class this is addressed.

My first two pods are so adorable and I have several more cut out and ready to assemble for Xmas presents. I bought the pattern at my local quilt shop, and followed it up with the Craftsy class which I highly recommend! Thank you for such fun, creative projects with such clear instructions.

42. Kathy — October 26, 2016 @ 11:52 am

Where can I buy the zippers in the zipper pulls that you used in your class
    Used in your class for the back a bag and the sweet peas
    Kathy