New: Patterns, Products, Zipper Obsession!

Lazies, Get ready to change your relationship with zippers forever! Yes, I think it’s that big. A game changer. I came up with an easy trick to put a zipper pull back on and it’s showcased in my three new patterns.

Let me say that again: I came up with an easy way to put a zipper pull on. Easy. You can do this. With every zipper (see important zipper notes below). All bags, pouches, etc. Every project going forward. Total. Zipper. Liberation. Cut ’em up, swap ’em around, put ’em together again. How-to is included in my three new patterns. You are going to need more zippers!

Let’s meet the Girls, the new zip technique, and the supplies you’ll need.

Sweetpea Pods

Securely hold treasures like peas in a pod! Tuck inside a bag, attach to your key chain, or add a strap for a mod wristlet. Unzipped pod stands open for easy access. Size: 3” x 6”

Sweetpea_web2
Sweetpea Pods LGD135

Yes, that’s one piece of zipper tape that loops back on itself. It’s my new One-Zip technique.

Supplies
Two 10″ squares, a bit of fusible fleece and two zippers 16″ or longer makes two pods. I ADORE using mine for Clover Wonder Clips at my workstation, sewing machine, or to take with me. Also nice for candy, buttons, loose zipper pulls (yea, you are going to need some of those, and we’ve got you covered there, too).

Becca Bags

Handy best friends to stow and go. These big-mouth bags quietly stand open for easy access. One piece of zipper tape goes in straight and flat, then bend and use my trick to easily add the pull. Two sizes.

BeccaCover_web
Becca Bags LGD136

These pouch style bags have forever changed how I’ll make pouches. My new One-Zip technique allows these bags to stand open wide for easy use.

Supplies: Three fat quarters, fleece, one 14″ and one 22″ zip will get the job done.

Fobio

Lanyard style key fob zips up to your wrist to lock in place! Clip to your keys, or add a pouch to make an instant wristlet. The pattern includes 2 sets of 1 1/4” key fob hardware. Fobio size 1 1/4” x 6”

Fobio_web
Fobio LGD137

Here we go, loopy zip again! Use my trick to add one or more pulls! The zipper can be zipped, the teeth engage and it’s a cool variation on zippers.

Supplies: Two sets key fob hardware included in the pattern, one 14″ zipper, a strip of fabric and interfacing, then go wild or mild with zipper pulls.

Lazy Girl Key Fob Hardware Supplies

Refill pack of 4 sets of key fob hardware LGD711
Party Pack of 25 sets of key fob hardware LGD712
The ideal pliers LGD713 to clamp the hardware onto Fobio.

NEW: One-Zip Technique
All three Girls use my new One-Zip technique. Cut the zipper to pieces, install one length of zipper tape, bend to bring the ends together, use my trick to put the pull on, creating a loop-style zipper. Sweet! So, all three new patterns include step-by-step instructions from start to finish for this technique.

Important Zipper Notes
My top recommendation for zips is YKK brand zippers from Atkinson Designs. They are the smoothest and swapping tape and pulls works beautifully with them.

– The One-Zip technique works with polyester, all-purpose, basic apparel zippers (size #3 or #4.5) by YKK, Coats & Clark, or Talon brands.
– All zipper tape and pulls must be by the same manufacturer to work together. Example: only use YKK pulls with YKK zips. Some Coats & Clark zips are actually by Talon and will say so on the zipper pull or package.
– One-Zip technique does not work with invisible, metal, sport weight, or Sullivans brand zippers.
– Test zips and pulls to make sure they work together before installation.

Zips and Pulls and Fun, Oh My!

I invited Terry Atkinson to this party and she said what can I bring? I said, I need longer zips and lots and lots of zipper pulls. Lots.

Atkinson Designs introduces their new line of beautiful 22″ zips and extra pulls we need for these new Girls. Here are the 10 scrumptious colors of the new 22″ long zips. The loose zipper pulls come in a Candy Color Mix of 30+ pulls that work with all of Terry’s 14″, and new 22″ zippers. Terry has an incredible eye for color, so you know you are going to love all of these.

Zip colors_med
22″ Atkinson Designs Zippers

Zipper Pulls_md
Zipper Pulls, Candy Color Mix, 30+ pulls, ATK520

For every project you make using the One-Zip, you’ll have leftover zipper tape for the next project. You are going to want more pulls. Like a bucketful. Or more. Trust me. My zipper stash has gone cra-cra.

When Can You Get Your Hands On These Goodies
Everything starts shipping to stores next week while we’re all in Houston for a quilty slumber party, I mean Quilt Market.

Quilt Market
Shop owners, join me in my Schoolhouse at 11:35, room 372D, on Friday in Houston. Terry and I will be demonstrating the One-Zip technique and showing all of our new zippery goodness at Checker’s booth Saturday (Terry) and Sunday (Joan) at 2.00. Terry offers everything you need to get up and running with her new products: Start Up Kit of zips, hang clips, hang cards, a new display option.

We are both taking orders now for all of our new goodies, or order through your fav distributor.

Where to Order
Check with your favorite Lazy retailer to see if they’ll be offering our new goodies. Patterns will not be available as e-patterns.
Edit: Sweetpea and Becca are available as PDF patterns in my Craftsy store here.

I know these shops will be offering the new goodies:
QuiltTrends in Columbus, OH
Sew Thankful online
Linderella’s in South Pines, NC
Bear Patch in White Bear Lake, MN
Creations SewClever in Chillicothe, OH

Lazies, what do you think? Are you ready to change things up a bit? Post a comment, I’d love to hear from you!

Instagram @JoanHawley
Facebook Lazy Girl
Craftsy Zip It Up Class
Pinterest Joan Hawley
Twitter LazyGirlJoan

107 Responses to “New: Patterns, Products, Zipper Obsession!”

1 2 3
  1. Debbie rhodes — October 12, 2015 @ 9:11 am

Oh goodness this looks like a great idea. Can’t wait to see this!!

2. BethG — October 12, 2015 @ 9:23 am

So excited!

3. MaryLou Wahl — October 12, 2015 @ 9:24 am

The 2 bags are so cute-have really peaked my curiosity on how this zipper technique works and will look forward to trying it out.

4. Bunny Bartlett Vance — October 12, 2015 @ 9:42 am

Brilliant Joan!!! I love them and can’t wait to make one!

5. JenFW — October 12, 2015 @ 9:49 am

Oh, the colors! That’s crafty candy to me. And the small bags will be great for organizing and holding bunches of my tiny embroidery supplies.

I’m imagining embroidered Fobios.

6. Shelly J — October 12, 2015 @ 9:55 am

Very cool. Excited to try this.

7. Ann McGee — October 12, 2015 @ 10:58 am

I think you’ve just blown my mind Joan! Count me in!

8. Mary ann — October 12, 2015 @ 11:00 am

I love these! Looking forward to building a bigger zipper stash ( and pulls too!) . And so very curious about your new technique! Looks like you will have a very fun market!

9. Chris Green — October 12, 2015 @ 11:00 am

Oooooo I CAN’T wait!!!!

10. Sandra Chavez — October 12, 2015 @ 11:49 am

I am wondering if the one zip technique is shown in your new Craftsy Zip it up class.

• Joan Hawley replied: — October 12th, 2015 @ 12:19 pm

Sandra, The technique to put the pull back on the zip is not shown in my Craftsy class. However, the class is great for seeing how I handle installing a zipper and bag construction, so it’s great prep for these projects and the rest of my patterns.

11. Karen — October 12, 2015 @ 12:06 pm

When are they going to be available?

12. Cecile Lemoine — October 12, 2015 @ 12:20 pm

Where can we buy your patterns and the zippers and pulls in Canada? If there a location in the states that will ship orders to us here in Canada?

13. Dana — October 12, 2015 @ 12:50 pm

Will these patterns be available at Quilt Festival to the public? What booth? I definitely want to find them!

14. tanvel — October 12, 2015 @ 1:07 pm

Where in Southern California can we find these new marvels? Jooane’s does not carry any of the stuff you feature. When will the patterns be available?

15. Melinda Meehan — October 12, 2015 @ 1:12 pm

I’m really looking forward to finding these in stores! I’ve been looking for extra zipper pulls in different colors for a long time!

16. Deb FitzGerald — October 12, 2015 @ 4:13 pm

This could be a new addiction. They are great.

17. Lynne Tilley — October 12, 2015 @ 7:09 pm

Wow, this is all so intriguing! I need to check this out!

18. Leslie Schmidt — October 12, 2015 @ 7:14 pm

These are so cute! I love the idea that they stand open for easy access. I’ll be checking at Bear Patch for them and Terry’s cute zippers.

19. Evelyn Thomas — October 12, 2015 @ 7:34 pm

Wow, these look fantastically cool!! Thanks…

20. rona hay — October 12, 2015 @ 8:06 pm

would love to try these Joan. Do you have an Australian supplier?

21. Janice Jones — October 12, 2015 @ 8:08 pm

I hope these are coming to Australia soon!

22. Marcy papariello — October 12, 2015 @ 9:05 pm

Can’t wait to try these!

23. Naomi Vela — October 12, 2015 @ 9:32 pm

I just saw the post about the Sweetpea pods over on FB and came rushing over….am sad to see the patterns won’t be available as e patterns…..being that I’m in Australia and the high price of postage, sadly that precludes me from purchasing patterns from overseas, as why should I be penalized for trying to help support an overseas designer by purchasing his/her pattern.

I’m sorry Joan, but I’ll just have to live without the pattern, because I refuse to pay high postage costs.

Having said all that, great pattern though.

Hugs
    Naomi

24. Beverly J Smith — October 12, 2015 @ 11:42 pm

Love them were can I get them?

25. Beverly J Smith — October 12, 2015 @ 11:45 pm

Can’t wait to try them

26. Angeline — October 13, 2015 @ 12:47 pm

The Sweetpea Pods are the cutest thing! I LOVE how they stay open. I will definitely be buying this pattern as soon as I can find it. Its hard to find the LG patterns in my area. JoAnns does carry some, but not all. I’ll probably order online the minute they come out! Too cute!

27. Lucie Biesenthal — October 13, 2015 @ 1:36 pm

I’ve made several Bendy Bags (enrolled in your Craftsy class too). They really are fun to make. I have the following construction variation on the zip grab tab to offer.
    Before the main cutting make a note of the ‘top’ of the zipper. I only wanted and used half of the zipper piece on my bag. Starting at the top end on the underside (no coil) you’ll see a ‘line’ of tiny stitches. Pick two or three of these out (use a pin and a magnifying glass), turn over to the coil side and tug at the coil. A thread should come loose. Take hold of the two of them and you should be able to unzip these threads and your coil should fall off.
    This stitching is identical to the chain stitch on a serger. The result is that you have a single piece of tape that matches you zipper exactly!!!!!

28. victoria — October 13, 2015 @ 2:39 pm

WOW–can’t wait to get the new pattern and pulls. I love Atkinson Designs–she is how I learned how to put zippers in!

Thank you!

29. Janice — October 13, 2015 @ 5:50 pm

I love these and can’t wait to try. I also love e-patterns. I hate to wait, I want to get started now!!!!

30. Glenda in Florida — October 13, 2015 @ 10:54 pm

I am so excited!!! I have a huge zipper stash, and I just know I”m going to love these patterns. Sew Thankful only had two of them listed today, so I’ve got an email in to see if they are going to have all the goodies, so I can place my order. And, I didn’t understand until I read this blog post why I would need more zipper pulls. Atkinson Designs are my favorite zippers too, so having them in longer lengths will be great. Thanks for inviting Terry to this party!

31. Amy Alton-Stonebrook — October 14, 2015 @ 9:41 am

These are so fun. Looking forward to getting these patterns

32. lynn zukowski — October 14, 2015 @ 12:15 pm

Do you think you will be offering a Craftsy class for these new “darlings”- similar to Zip It Up: Easy Techniques for Zippered Bags

33. Vicki Brumby — October 16, 2015 @ 7:00 am

Love these Joan! Will it be possible to purchase the zip pulls in Australia? Do you have stockists here?

34. June Piper Brandon — October 19, 2015 @ 10:19 am

Love love love the zippers and pulls, I have got to get some of those so I can make some gifts

35. Jan — October 19, 2015 @ 2:10 pm

Already have my goodies ordered from Sew Thankful!! Hoping Terry comes out with a bundle of zippers instead of just reached, Want More! So appreciate that God has blessed you with such talent to share!

36. milli Illingworth — October 19, 2015 @ 5:01 pm

I am always so thrilled when I see an e-mail from you. Your ideas are just what I love when I need a “jump start” to get going on something. I am enrolled in your Craftsy Zipper class and LOVE it. Very well done. I am going to be ninety years old in January and you “Light UP My Life” with your super ideas., Thank you

37. Marcia Elliott — October 19, 2015 @ 10:01 pm

Are these pulls going to be available in Australia I hope and pray so

38. SusanK — October 19, 2015 @ 10:59 pm

Already placed my order. Anxious to try the exciting new zipper technique. Thank you for your creativeness..

39. ELAINE GREGORY — October 21, 2015 @ 12:39 pm

does it zip closed all the way? It seems like the loop would make it gap open. Does it want to back off when zipped shut? Just wondering. Thanks 🙂

40. Barb Adams — October 23, 2015 @ 6:15 am

Looks like a cute project for a gift class. Would like to get one of the. patterns when they come out and are ready for sale. Will make for gifts for friends and Church Bazaar.

41. ruth — October 26, 2015 @ 10:53 am

can’t wait to get my hands on the patterns & the zips!

42. MARYPAT — October 28, 2015 @ 12:19 pm

WHAT!!!!!!INCREDIBLE!!!YOU ARE BRILLIANT!!!

43. Barbara Allen — October 28, 2015 @ 9:35 pm

Sooo cute, can’t wait to get the pattern and zippers in my hands! Perfect little gifts for my great grandchildren!

44. Michelle — November 6, 2015 @ 10:40 am

Where can I find/purchase the fobio and sweatpea pod patterns?

45. Tracy — November 13, 2015 @ 4:23 pm

Can you tell me please where in Australia I can purchase the SweatPea Pods pattern
    Thanks 🙂

• Joan Hawley replied: — December 4th, 2015 @ 8:21 am

Tracy, Punch with Judy has them!

46. Casey Berndsen — November 20, 2015 @ 6:01 pm

Just placed my order for patterns, zippers and pulls. Even using the fastest delivery method-I can’t wait. It’s a shame patterns and zippers are not available as PDF downloads!

47. Mary Green — November 24, 2015 @ 1:32 pm

Are you ever one smart cookie for thinking up this idea. I can’t wait to give this a try. Thanks. And you go, Girl!

48. Gene Black — December 2, 2015 @ 12:57 pm

Do you offer pdf patterns? Or have you considered it?