New Pattern: Meet Our Bendy Bag

Lazies, You know there is something special about this new Lazy Girl just by looking at her. How do you get the zipper to bend and sit open like that? Where did Bendy gets her awesome shape? Wow, I never thought of doing that with the end of a zipper. That’s right, Bendy is busy with new ideas and techniques from start to finish! Please allow me to introduce you to my latest design – Bendy Bag, Lazy Girl Designs #LGD134, available late February.

TBendy Bag LGD134
Bendy Bag pattern by Lazy Girl Designs #LGD134, $9.00
Finished size approx: 3” x 6” x 6″

Where Did She Get That Funk?
Bendy gets her unique shape from all the seams working together. But the big player here is the ‘Bend’ seam on the side – that’s what gets the party started. Everyone falls into line after that. Don’t worry, this is the usual easy project you’ve come to expect from Lazy Girl.

New Techniques
Every Lazy Girl bag design includes at least one new element. As you work your way through my patterns, you are building a skill set and tool box of tricks to use throughout your sewing career. There are at least three new techniques in this project:
– Perfect zipper installation with new casing treatment
– How to make the zip grab tab
– Those fabulous bendy seams on the sides

Bendy is featured in my Zip It Up class at Craftsy. Click this ad below to save 50% off enrollment.
Banner 728x90

Open Wide and Say ‘Ah’
Bendy unzips in one motion and stands at attention with a wide mouth for easy access.The unique, but easy zipper installation, combined with the bag shape, causes Bendy to stand open very nicely. That means she is easy to load/unload and work out of. Bendy is perfect for toting gear, cords, goodies and more.

TBendy Bag LGD134_b
Bendy stands open for easy access.

TBendy Bag LGD134_o

Look at that profile! Bendy has wonderful posture.

Shapely
You can see from this view that Bendy has all sorts of fun and funky angles. Bendy is relaxed and leans back a little. She looks like a diamond from the side view.

TBendy Bag LGD134_a
The angled side seam wraps from one side of Bendy,
down to the bottom back, and then up the other side again.

TBendy Bag LGD134_d
You can see here that Bendy is wider at the bottom in the back
than she is at the bottom front. That helps her stand tall and steady.

New Seam Treatment
Also notice that you can see the seams on the lining. But, they look pretty nice! All exposed lining seams are trimmed and finished with a tight zigzag stitch. It’s nice and tidy in there!

Capacity
For a small zip bag, Bendy has great capacity. Here Bendy comfortably holds my iPhone accessories. Bendy holds lots of nice things, like my #Aurifil thread. A standard rotary cutter and sewing supplies fit nicely, too.

TBendy Bag LGD134_cTBendy Bag LGD134_i

Zip Grab Tabs
Here’s a better look at those cool zippered grab tabs. Doesn’t the zip make a great detail? Fun and functional! I love the zips from Atkinson Designs. Their zippers are 14″ long, come in scrumptious colors, have a great price and they are the perfect length for Bendy. Available at local quilt shops.

TBendy Bag LGD134_h
Those zip grab tabs are just about the cutest!

Bendy Bag LGD134
Bendy will be available by the end of February 2015. She’s a quick and easy project that uses supplies you likely already have on hand.

Bendy will be available at your local quilt shop and online retailers.

Supplies
Fabric
Two 1/4 yds: one for outside, one for lining, (Fat quarters 18” x 20” or 42” wide from the bolt)

Batting
1/4 yard x 42” fusible fleece (or 1 piece at 18” x 20”). For best results use Dreamy Fusible Fleece by Sew Lazy item SLG106.

Zipper
One 14” (or longer) zipper, polyester all-purpose. I highly recommend Atkinson Designs or Coats & Clark zippers.
Do not use a sport-weight or metal zipper. The zipper teeth will be sewn over and cut during this project.

– Rotary cut project
– No pattern pieces provided.
– Exposed seams on lining are trimmed and nicely finished with tight zigzag stitch.
– Not recommended for directional prints.
– Use 100% cotton quilting weight fabric.

Press It!
I use several of my Clover Press Perfect tools on this project. The 2×4 Mighty Mini Board and the Iron Finger are perfect for pressing this small project. Our Iron Safe is great for working with the fusible fleece.

Click to enlarge the pattern cover images.

Bendy_Bag_LGD134_cover Bendy_Bag_LGD134_backcover

As Shown
All of the Bendy Bags shown here use #KonaCotton by Robert Kaufman fabrics, #Aurifil thread, and zippers from #AtkinsonDesigns.

Bendy will be here before we know it!

Thanks for joining in on the fun of our new Girl, Bendy Bag!

Where to Buy
Sew Thankful

Tell Me All About It
What do you think of Bendy? Please leave a comment and share on Facebook.

92 Responses to “New Pattern: Meet Our Bendy Bag”

1. Bunny Vance — February 4, 2015 @ 9:14 am

I just love BENDY!!! I see so many possibilities, especially for travel. Joan, you are so GOOD!!!

2. Ethelann Wood — February 4, 2015 @ 9:20 am

OMGosh, I love this. How great would it be to have these Bendy bags to organize you things to take to a sewing class. I love it for Game pieces for the kids, hair bands, I need this pattern!!

3. Beth — February 4, 2015 @ 9:27 am

Ooo, looks like a lot of Lazy goin’ on. Love it!

4. Beth — February 4, 2015 @ 9:39 am

I love the shape. So clever. I look forward to getting the pattern.

5. Susan+Winnie — February 4, 2015 @ 9:40 am

Amazing. Need one bigger to hold ipaad

6. nancy in IN — February 4, 2015 @ 9:45 am

I love Bendy. I love the zipper treatment.

7. Din Milem — February 4, 2015 @ 10:03 am

WONDERFUL!!! This is another pattern to use for making birthday/Christmas gifts for all the women in my family, and even some of the men/boys. It will also make a great hostess gift. I have made so many wonder wallets and Runaround bags, just for these purposes. Your patterns are so quick and simple to follow, with great results. Thank you, Joan, for sharing your talents with the rest of the world.

8. Laurie Gathje — February 4, 2015 @ 10:24 am

This looks FANTASTIC!!! I can see several of these being made in my future!

9. Audrey Hess — February 4, 2015 @ 10:26 am

Love it! It looks like a great gift idea and great for us sewists who want to organize all our notions and stuff! Your patterns never disappoint. I will be marking my calendar. I’ll order it as soon as it’s available!!!

10. Joan — February 4, 2015 @ 10:30 am

Hi Joan,
    I love this bag she is so cute! I can’t wait to get the pattern. Do you supply a list of on-line retailers that carry the pattern? That would make it easier for me as I have disabilities and getting out is a challenge.
    Thanks for all your lovely bag designs.

11. Christine L. — February 4, 2015 @ 10:38 am

I love this bag. It will fit so many needs.
    The pattern sheet says it’s 3 inches wide. The finished ones you have picured don’t look anywhere near 3 inches wide. That would be half the depth or height. What is the actual width?

• Joan Hawley replied: — February 4th, 2015 @ 10:41 am

Hi Christine,

I’m thrilled that you like Bendy! She is 3″ across the bottom at the back and narrower at the front. So the 3″ x 6″ x 6″ size info refers to her width at the back/bottom, the height and the depth from front to back.

12. DebrafromMD — February 4, 2015 @ 10:52 am

I love this new bag. Can’t wait for it to be released.

13. Shirley Schenmeyer — February 4, 2015 @ 10:54 am

I think this is very different and a great size to be so useful. Fashionable as well.

14. Cathy McKillip — February 4, 2015 @ 11:00 am

Can’t wait to whip up some of these Bendy bags. Thank you so much Joan for your wonderful bag designs!

15. Cheryl M — February 4, 2015 @ 11:08 am

I can’t wait for the release!

16. Shirley — February 4, 2015 @ 11:16 am

I already have and have made most of your great bags! Anticipating the arrival of this one! Any chance of getting a Bendy pattern pre-release?

17. Bernadiene — February 4, 2015 @ 11:27 am

Love Bendy Bag. Stands upright, Easier to organize items. Need pattern ASAP.
    Thanks

18. Anne+R — February 4, 2015 @ 11:42 am

Bendy looks like a great gift for our sewing and quilting sisters! Who doesn’t need a tote like this to corral our small goodies!?!

19. Anita Miaoulis — February 4, 2015 @ 11:46 am

Thanks Joan, can’t wait for this pattern. I have really enjoyed your patterns and products and have made several of your bags. The are made for easy sewing by watching your how to videos.. Please keep doing the. I have enjoyed Kaye Woods page and pattern and how to videos. Anita Miaoulis , Hammond La.

20. Barbara Nees — February 4, 2015 @ 12:20 pm

She looks amazing! I can’t wait to make one. I am counting down the days until she comes out. Joan I love your patterns. Thank you.

21. Sharon Kendall — February 4, 2015 @ 12:38 pm

This is so great!! I’m going to make lots for presents. Everyone can use multiples of these

22. debbi B. — February 4, 2015 @ 12:44 pm

Just way too cool! Can’t wait for the pattern to come out. Zippers don’t intimidate me anymore and this looks like a great little project to try. I’ll put it to the test on my serger with the finishing of the seams.

23. Jane Moore — February 4, 2015 @ 12:48 pm

Looks like a great project! Can’t wait to try it.

24. Penny — February 4, 2015 @ 1:15 pm

How do you come up with these fabulous bags!! I can see one in everyone of my sewing cases!! Oh and my traveling bags!! Woohoo thanks for another fun bag!!

25. Kathie — February 4, 2015 @ 2:14 pm

Cool zipper treatment!

26. Jean — February 4, 2015 @ 2:42 pm

Love the look of Bendy! Will definitely want to make several of these for myself and gifts!

27. sharon massena — February 4, 2015 @ 2:43 pm

I would love to feature this bag on my website. It looks terrific! for many purposes.

28. Angela — February 4, 2015 @ 3:25 pm

I think I would use with a lot of things, sewing supplies, computer/ camera cords and supplies, toiletries and such. Nice that it sits up open when needed.

29. Dawn — February 4, 2015 @ 4:11 pm

I’m so upset I can’t order it today! I love these! I can’t wait!!!!

30. Nancy Walden — February 4, 2015 @ 4:16 pm

Love this bag and can’t wait to make it as gifts to my close friends! I love how it stands up on its own…..great makeup bag!

31. Phyllis wink — February 4, 2015 @ 4:37 pm

i like the new bendy bag . Look forward to purchasing the pattern from my local quilt shop

32. Claire Fisher — February 4, 2015 @ 4:51 pm

Ready to give Bendy a try….bring on the pattern!

33. Jackie Konder — February 4, 2015 @ 5:26 pm

Can’t wait for this to come out. Definitely on my wish list!

34. Carole Singer — February 4, 2015 @ 5:42 pm

Can’t say I would use it, looks like fun to make but the size I don’t know about.

35. Terry H. — February 4, 2015 @ 6:36 pm

So Cute! I can see ‘all kinds of uses’ for this bag! Tame the electronic cords, make- up bag, sewing supplies. Even treats or crayons for the kiddos.

36. Joyce — February 4, 2015 @ 7:50 pm

I love little bags! I like Bendy’s lines and neat looking zip. Looking forward to adding her to my collection!

37. Debbie+Rhodes — February 4, 2015 @ 8:09 pm

Looks great. Will make a great present for the teenage grandcuties on my list. Thanks. I can’t wait to get it

38. kate — February 4, 2015 @ 8:19 pm

I’d like to make one large enough to hold my laptop!! Maybe a sturdy HANDLE on the bottom, or one side (the non opening side).

39. Linda Wagner — February 4, 2015 @ 8:56 pm

Looks very cool, but then all your designs are great.

40. Leslie Schmidt — February 4, 2015 @ 10:25 pm

Another terrific design, Joan! I can see me making lots of Bendies for all kinds of storage. They would look cool all lined up on a shelf like books. I’ve made several of your projects, going back to the thread holders and appliqué project cases to Wonder Wallets. Everything has turned out just great. I’ll be keeping an eye out for Bendy.

41. Mary Ann — February 4, 2015 @ 10:35 pm

This look like a wonderful project…useful, building skills and adorable!! looking forward to trying them out.

42. Agneta — February 5, 2015 @ 3:35 am

Love the new member of the Lazy family of cute and smart bags! Will it be available in Sweden too?

Regards,
    Agneta in Uppsala Sweden

43. Julie Drennan — February 5, 2015 @ 7:10 am

Must have Bendy. How perfect will this be with NIckita for traveling! Thanks, Joan.

44. megzaela — February 5, 2015 @ 7:45 am

Looks delightful….funky, functional….what more could a person want from a bag? Maybe the pattern as PDF! 🙂 I live in Europe and your patterns aren’t so easy to get here, and postage from the states is so often unreasonable, so I really really would like it if a PDF version were available.

45. Melissa Dusoe — February 5, 2015 @ 8:13 am

Love this. Perfect fit for on the go toys and games for the kids. Thomas train for my little guy and small games for my big guys. Great for the beach to keep the suits separate. Awesome project can’t wait to get to it!

46. Margie — February 5, 2015 @ 8:28 am

They look interesting and can’t wait to try one!

47. Mary Ellen — February 5, 2015 @ 9:19 am

I’m thinking this is going to be a great bag to carry an on-the-go applique project or all those little things I now learned I need with knitting like markers and that kind of thing. It’s going to make perfect Christmas gifts for my quilty friends!

48. Bettie Smith — February 5, 2015 @ 9:27 am

I have most of your patterns a;nd love all I’ve made. My friends all have at least 2 Magic Wallets, and you borrowed my quilt for a Kaye Woods presentation. I look forward to meeting Bendy, and will make some for the males in my family for travel shaving gear.

49. Jane — February 5, 2015 @ 9:51 am

WOW! This lazie gal can’t wait for this one. Love it!